# of expeditions: 40
# published articles: 240
# published photos: 5,000
with over 100 international cover images
John is a founding member of surfEXPLoRE and world renowned editor and surf photographer. Since 1988 he has contributed to more than 250 surfing and travel publications worldwide and his images feature in Getty Images, Alamy and iStockPhoto image libraries.
Prior to establishing surfEXPLORE, John worked as stafi photographer with Surfing and Surfer Magazines, USA with more than 100 international book and magazine cover images.
- 1992 – landmark surf travel project to Siargao Island in The Philippines where John named the wave at Cloud 9, now regarded as one of the best surfing locations in Asia.
- 1998 – Planned, photographed and produced the first surfing expedition to the Andaman Islands of India by boat from Phuket Island in Thailand.
- 2003 – First surfExPLORE project in the Mentawai Islands of Indonesia. 2010 – Publication of Surfing Brilliant comers with author Sam Bleakley.
- 2013 – Placing the most images (33) of any photographer in the Stormrider Surf Guide to Tropical Islands, most of which are from surfExPLORE projects.
Illustrator for the following books, authored by Sam Bleakley:
- Surfing Brilliant Corners, Alison Hodge Publishers UK 2009
- Surfing Tropical Beats Mandarin Chinese version Hainan Publishing House 2011
- Surfing Tropical Beats Alison Hodge Publishers UK, 2011